Australia is rich with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander history and cultures that are some of the oldest in the world.
Corporations focused on supporting or promoting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, projects and communities around Australia are also unique in their structures, governance and operations. The opportunities to grow, as well as the challenges to manage, encompass a myriad of considerations: from regulatory requirements and government support grants, to also ensuring inter-generational and cultural synergies are addressed.
Grant Thornton has a strong track record over 45 years of delivering a range of high-quality services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander clients, and to government agencies delivering services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, corporations and communities. Our services range from traditional audit and accounting services to our specialised Indigenous Advisory services administering class actions and supporting native title and cultural heritage bodies.
We understand the unique and specific regulatory obligations, governance structures and other technical milestones, and our team is also focused on the crucial people and relationship components required for a business or a project’s success. Positive outcomes are achieved for our clients by always including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in decision making processes and respecting local customs and traditions. We act as a conduit between the commercial needs of a business or project, while reflecting and upholding the rights and protections of Australia’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities.
Key aspects of our service model in Indigenous Advisory are:
- A deep understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander tradition and culture
- Appreciation of the issues and challenges facing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporations in remote, regional and urban Australia
- Expertise in improving the effectiveness, efficiency, sustainability and accountability of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporations
- Effectively communicating complex regulatory and corporate governance issues
- The majority of our staff are Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
Our professional services include:
- Native title and cultural heritage management
- Governance training and support
- Business and financial training
- Feasibility studies
- Grant writing and acquittal
- Business and organisational administration assignments
- Business recovery and external administration
- Acting as grant controllers and court-appointed administrators
- Strategic and business planning
- Mentoring and advice
- Audit and assurance services
- Bookkeeping and accounting services
- Taxation advisory
- Consulting and business advisory services
- IT and systems support
- HR functionality
- Administration and secretarial functions.
Reconciliation Action Plan
At Grant Thornton we are committed to reconciliation. We are currently developing our first reconciliation action plan (RAP) which will be finalised in 2021. Where possible we procure services from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander businesses, ranger groups, land councils and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander local government councils.
Get in touch
Stolen Wages Class Action
Subscribe to receive our publications
Subscribe now to be kept up-to-date with timely and relevant insights, unique to the nature of your business, your areas of interest and the industry in which you operate.